- SHREYAS Scheme
- India International Science Festival
The scheme Scholarships for Higher Education for Young Achievers Scheme (SHREYAS), has been proposed to be implemented during the 2021-22 to 2025-26 by placing two ongoing Central Sector Schemes for OBC (Other Backward Classes) and EBC.
- These schemes are, National Fellowship for OBC and Dr.Ambedkar Central Sector Scheme of Interest Subsidy on Educational Loans for Overseas Studies for OBCs and Economically Backward Classes (EBCs).
GS II: Government Policies and Interventions
Dimensions of the Article:
- SHREYAS: Empowering Education for OBC & EBC Students
SHREYAS: Empowering Education for OBC & EBC Students
- SHREYAS is an umbrella scheme under the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- It aims to empower OBC & Economically Backward Class (EBC) students through fellowships and interest subsidies on educational loans for higher education.
Sub-Schemes: The SHREYAS umbrella scheme includes four central sector sub-schemes:
Free Coaching Scheme for SCs and OBCs:
- Objective: Provide high-quality coaching to economically disadvantaged SCs and OBCs for competitive exams and technical/professional institution admissions.
- Income Ceiling: Family income capped at 8 lakhs per annum.
- Slot Allocation: 3500 slots allotted annually.
- Gender Inclusivity: 30% slots reserved for females in both categories.
- Allocation Ratio: SC: OBC ratio at 70:30 for equitable access.
- Outcomes: Benefited 19,995 beneficiaries from 2014-15 to 2022-23.
Top-Class Education for SCs:
- Objective: Recognize and promote quality education among SC students beyond the 12th class.
- Income Ceiling: Family income limit set at 8 lakhs per annum.
- Coverage: Includes 266 higher education institutes, including prestigious institutions like IIMs, IITs, and NITs.
- Scholarship: Covers tuition fee, non-refundable charges, academic allowance, and other expenses.
- Outcomes: Benefited 21,988 beneficiaries from 2014-15 to 2022-23.
National Overseas Scheme for SCs:
- Objective: Provide financial assistance to selected students from various categories for pursuing masters and Ph.D. courses abroad.
- Eligibility: Students with family income below Rs. 8 lakhs per annum, securing admission in the top 500 QS ranking foreign institutes/universities.
- Scholarship: Covers tuition fee, maintenance, contingency allowance, visa fee, and airfare.
- Outcomes: Benefited 950 beneficiaries from 2014-15 to 2022-23.
National Fellowship for SC Students:
- Aim: Support SC students pursuing M.Phil/Ph.D. degrees in Sciences, Humanities, and Social Sciences in Indian Universities/Institutions/Colleges recognized by UGC.
- Eligibility: NET-JRF qualified candidates or Junior Research Fellows for Science stream (UGC-CSIR Joint Test).
- Allocation: Provides 2000 new slots annually (500 for Science and 1500 for Humanities/Social Sciences).
India International Science Festival
The 9th edition of the India International Science Festival (IISF) 2023 will be held at Faridabad, Haryana from January 17th-20th, 2024.
Facts for Prelims
Dimensions of the Article:
- India International Science Festival (IISF) 2023
India International Science Festival (IISF) 2023:
- Venue: Campus of Translational Health Science and Technology Institute (THSTI) and Regional Centre for Biotechnology (RCB) in Faridabad.
- Theme: ‘Science and Technology Public Outreach in Amrit Kaal’.
- Inspiration and Outreach: Aims to inspire diverse audiences, including students, educators, scientists, researchers, industry professionals, entrepreneurs, and science communicators.
- Platform for Scientific Achievements: Provides a platform to showcase scientific achievements across 17 diverse themes.
Themes of IISF 2023:
- Diverse Range: The festival will feature a total of 17 themes, encompassing various scientific disciplines.
- Fostering Creativity: Dedicated to fostering creativity in Science, Technology, and Innovation for the advancement of a prosperous India.
- Initiative: An initiative of the Ministry of Science and Technology and the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- Association: In association with Vijnana Bharati.
- Editions: Since 2015, IISF has successfully hosted eight editions in different geographical regions of India.
- Expansion: Over the years, it has evolved into a mega science festival.
Integration of Departments:
- Expansion in 2021: In 2021, the Department of Space and the Department of Atomic Energy became integral parts of IISF, broadening its scope and impact.